On a previous visit, The Brit met co-owner Pete Dolan, who kindly donated a bottle of Professor Plum for later review on the show. We sampled that beer last week, and in this episode we formally visited Elmhurst Brewing Co., and chatted with the other co-owner, Fraser Donaldson and brewer Cam Horn.
The Brit was joined by both of his co-hosts, Chuck Fort from Church Street and Ken McMullen from Hopvine and we setup in the brewery to chat and sample brews. Lisa Gregor from Church also stopped by…something about keeping an eye on Chuck we think!
In this conversation, we hear how Cam and Fraser both got into craft beer and brewing, and how Cam brewed the strongest beer in Texas. EBC also submitted 2 beers to the recent FOBAB festival (but alas did not win any medals), and Cam talks about both of these and barrel-aging, and Fraser lets us know which beers they liked at the festival. We also discuss what a zwickel is and if there really is a ‘zwickel-helles’, if an Imperial Berliner Weisse is a real style, what different styles of wood add new flavors to beers, and Cam waxes lyrical on his hopes for the craft brewing industry. Plus we discover that Cam does NOT know the phone number of the brewery! A great conversation held in the brewhouse with plenty o’ samples!
- The Schwartz, Schwarzbier (Black Lager), 4.6% ABV 27 IBU
- Fools Gold, Golden Coffee Stout, 6.8% ABV
- Go To Helles, Helles Lager, 4.7% ABV 23 IBU
- Julius Squeezer, Juicy IPA, 6.3% ABV 23 IBU
- Doppelapfelstrudelweiss, (collab w/ 93 Octane) Imperial Berliner Weiss, 9.1% ABV 2 IBU
- The Devil Wears Jammies, Spicy Oatmeal Cookie Stout, 8.9% ABV
Play the show from the PodBean player, or our player below…