Our first show for 2017, and it’s out with some old beers and in with some new. Phil brings 3 local brews that are new (well at least 2 are), and Mark shows up with a couple of older bottles he picked up in 2016. We recorded this show at our local tavern, John’s in Winfield, so we could check out the new handheld digital recorder.
First up we have a classic Belgium Trappist beer, apparently fairly rare in the US. Then it’s back to Illinois for our next three, a robust porter from Algonquin’s Scorched Earth Brewery, and two barrel-aged first editions from Alter Brewing in Downer’s Grove, and Metal Monkey in Romeoville respectively.
We finish up with one of the most expensive beers we have tasted, a 2016 barrel-aged winter ale from Fremont Brewing.
They’re all good in their own way, and it’s a great start for the stout fellows’ 2017!
- Brouwerij der St. Benedictusabdij de Achelse, Achel 8 Blond, Trappist Ale, 8%
- Scorched Earth Brewing, Algonquin, IL – Rugged Coalminer, Robust Porter, 5.9%, 35 IBU
- Alter Brewing, Downers Grove, IL – Elder Lord Farquad, red wine barrel-aged quad, 11%, 24 IBU
- Metal Monkey, Romeoville, IL, Asmodeus, Bourbon barrel-aged Russian Imperial Stout, 12%
- Fremont Brewing, Seattle WA, Ancient One B-Bomb, 14%, 65 IBU
Play the show from our player below, or from SoundCloud…