This episode might seem late for last year’s Festival of Barrel Aged Beers (FOBAB), or perhaps too early for next year but…there were a number of FOBAB brews that needed drinking so we gathered a few chums at the Brit and Yankee Pub and had a tasting session!
On the distinguished panel are FOBAB volunteers Ken McMullen from Hopvine Brewing, Kevin Herbst, and John Bittermann, plus your host Phil ‘The Brit’ Clark. Then rounding everything out is someone who has had entries at FOBAB, co-owner of Art History Brewing, Tom Rau.
We find out why the Illinois Craft Brewers Guild relies heavily on volunteer help to ensure the festival is a success, plus how you can sign up and help out in the future. Plus of course the usual pub chat including how The Brit keeps his toenails under control, what steps are taken to control ‘over-served’ attendees, the rigors of emptying the ‘slop buckets’, and the pros and cons of the UIC venue. Tom Rau also provides his views from the brewer’s side and how the decisions are made of which beer and style to enter for any given year. And finally, each panelist tells us which of the beers they preferred…not the winner, as these are all winners!
Yes, it’s a longer episode but we hope that you enjoy the perspectives of some of the people who experience this great festival as volunteers, and perhaps you will volunteer for the 2023 event!! Cheers!
Link to ICBG Volunteer signup
- Tin City Brewing – Paso Robles CA, Malus At the Palace – Dry Cider, ABV 11% – Best of Show 2020, Gold Medal – Cider Perry Mead Category
- Alter Brewing – Downers Grove IL, King’s Blood – Cherry-wheat aged in red wine barrels, ABV 5.5% – 2016 Silver Medal, Fruit Beer Category
- Destihl Brewing – Normal IL, Saint Dekkera Reserve Sour – Flanders Oud Bruin, ABV 7.2% – 2020 Gold Medal, Wild Beer Sours (Acidic)
- Off Color Brewing – Chicago IL, Beer for Burgers – Helles Bock Style Beer blended with Bourbon Barrel Aged Lager, ABV 7%
- Cruz Blanca Brewing, Chicago IL, Barbarosa – black and red raspberry ale aged in Heaven Hill bourbon and Cabernet red wine barrels – 2021 Gold Medal, Fruit Beer Category
- Wolf’s Ridge Brewing, Columbus OH, Dire Wolf – Armagnac – Imperial Stout aged in Armagnac Cognac barrel, ABV 10.8%
Play our audio podcasts using your favorite smartphone podcast app, or our player above. We have a direct link to iTunes and Spotify below…and lots of other links on the sidebar! Plus you can subscribe to our YouTube channel by clicking this link.