We’ve gathered 5 beers that have a connection to Valentine’s Day, although we’ve taken artistic license and stretched that a tad! Joining The Brit, Phil Clark, in the Brit & Yankee Pub studio is co-host Chuck Fort from Church Street Brewing, craft-beer consumer and friend of the show, Tom Ryan, and out guest of honor is Ed Malnar, VP of Operations at Pollyanna Brewing in Lemont IL.
We hear about the possibly dark origins of Valentine’s Day and connect this to each of the selected beers. We hear from the panel about their perfect Valentine celebrations, and they also provide suggestions for pairing up a brew with a special V-Day dinner. All this and the usual pub banter on many topics!
As a bonus, we also hear from a couple of other brewers about their thoughts on Valentine’s day…Metal Monkey‘s Dan Camp phones in and tells that Tiramasu and Lady Middlefinger might figure in his dinner, and Oliver Bulley from Dry City has a special evening planned for his Valentine! Plus a guest appearance from The Yankee, Lingo, with his ideas for a brew for his wife!
The brews we selected and reviewed are:
- Pollyanna Brewing, Lemont IL, Lechery, Oatmeal Blonde Ale with Cherries and Cocoa Nibs, ABV 5.8%
- 18th Street Brewing, Gary, IN, Sex and Candy, American IPA, ABV 7.5%
- Oddside Ales, Grand Haven MI, Touch of Red, mixed fermentation sour red ale, ABV 7%
- Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery, Barrie ON, Aurora Heart, Chocolate Raspberry Stout, 7.1% ABV
- Half Acre, Big Hugs, Imperial Coffee Stout, 10% ABV, with the special peel back label-on-label
Play the show from our player or the Podbean player below…