Yup, it’s that time of year again when we assemble a panel of ‘experts’ to review some of the brews readily available on the shelves this season, both from Illinois and beyond. On hand to pass arbitrary judgement we have beer-guru and ex-cohost, Mark Naski, Hopvine brewmaster Ken McMullen, beer historian and glass collector John Bittermann, and PALE homebrew member John Lawlor.
Note: this show was recorded ahead of CLB’s Oktoberfest celebration, and ahead of The Brit’s retirement. CLB is done, and The Brit is free!
We always have a calibration beer and this time round Mark has brought something original from the state of Idaho, Bear Island Brewing‘s Imperial Idaho Potato Ale! Mark tells us the story of how it came about, and the military connection to the beer and brewery.
Our Oktoberfest brews were randomly selected, and randomly selected for tasting by the panel picking a number, then tasting and commenting on the beer, followed by a reveal. At the end we’ll pick our favorites and not so favorites. And if you don’t agree, well, send us an email!
The pub chat hits many topics such as; why classic styles are making a comeback, what starting and finishing gravity means, what is Plato, what is honey malt, which German festival to attend, we dare to question a brew from Brooklyn Brewery and what we’d say if we met Garrett Oliver, and what storing a beer in the car does to it (apologies to Lucky Monk!).
We have an extra beer for our wrap-up, brought by Mark from Ram in Boise. It’s an award winner from 2018 GABF!
Beers Sampled and Timings:
- 00:00 – 13:00 Bear Island Brewing, Boise ID., Idaho Potato Ale, Imperial IPA, 9.0% ABV
- 13:00 – 22:00 Church Street Brewing, Itasca IL., Itascafest, Marzen-style ale, 5.1% ABV
- 22:00 – 29:45 Sierra Nevada Brewing / Bitburger, Chico CA., Oktoberfest, Festbier, 6.0% ABV
- 29:45 – 38:00 Crystal Lake Brewing, Crystal Lake IL., Oktoberfest, Marzen-style lager, 5.5% ABV
- 38:00 – 48:00 Brooklyn Brewing, Brooklyn NY., Oktoberfest, Marzen lager, 5.5% ABV
- 48:00 – 59:00 Oswego Brewing, Oswego IL, Oktoberfest, Marzen-style, 5.7% ABV
- 59:00 – 68:00 Lucky Monk Brewery and Restaurant, South Barrington, IL., Oktoberfest, 6.0% ABV
- 68:00 – end Ram Brewing Company, Boise ID., Oktoberfest Bier, Marzen-style, 5.5% ABV
Play the show from the PodBean player, or our player below…